Monday, December 11, 2006

Musing

Well, since I promised musings, here they go:

Favorite Klezmer Piece: Miserlou
Favorite Artist: Hankus Netsky & Klezmer Conservatory Band

Most Hilarious Klezmer Piece: Miserlou by the Looney Tunes
(equal parts of surf rock and klezmer)

Civil Rights Vignette: Passing through a gas station, maybe Mississipi, perhaps Louisiana during the late 60's. My New York plates get me a police tail in Huntsville, but not here thankfully. I meet Charles Evers, a cousin of Medgar in the gas station, he's driving a classy but well used early 60's black Cadillac, but relates his frustration. Across town, there'd be an assumption there was some hard work, rewarded by some trappings of success. For him, its a never ending justification of his right to drive a car he worked to buy. I hear well meaning folks say they never encountered discrimination. I wonder high tightly shut they have to close their eyes and how completely they have to plug their ears. Ever stop at a Stuckey's in the South?

No comments: